Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Blockbuster Vs. Redbox

VERSUS

So after the whole Netflix craze, blockbuster went spiraling down quite quickly. They then tried to implement the no late fee clause. Also they started opening their stores till 3am. Then certain stores started 'renigging' this promotion and closed at midnight again and charged late fees. Then they finally created their own mail in DVD service to compete with netflix. I never got into the netflix craze because I am a spontaneous and imaptient person. I do not like choosing what movies I want to watch ahead of time and waiting for them in the mail. If I want to watch something at any given moment, then I want to have it at arms reach.

Then Rebox made a breakthrough and gave us the $1 movie rental option through a vending machine! I don't know if it is an original venture though. While living in Italy, I saw these DVD vending machines in all neighborhoods. The only downside to redbox is that it only carries a limited amount of Movie selections. Also, when a new movie comes out, it is usually all out by the time I make my way to great red machine. The plus side is that it is easy access and it is only $1 with a $1 late fee per day that it is late. Another downside is that the redbox machines are inside supermarkets. So you have to go when the supermarket is open. It would be better if it was outside on the street.

Now to the purpose of this post. I have just now discovered that blockbuster has changed its prices. Obviously to compete with redbox. New releases are now $2 and old movies are $1. These rentals are for 1 night only and the late fee is $1 each extra night. I used to be an avid blockbuster goer. Every weekend I would go and rent 4 or 5 movies and spend at least 20 bucks. Why did I do that? I was a platinum rewards member. That means I always got a free rental with my rental and some other bonuses. That's how much I frequented blockbuster. Over the years I stopped renting and started buying. I would go into blockbuster just to buy 5 dollar movies. The stores were always empty. This weekend I went into blockbuster in Arizona and it was packed. I guess the decrease in price has been a success for the former movie rental giant. This was a good move on blockbuster's part considering that currently, the biggest money making industry is the movie industry in this decling economy. I think I will revive my platinum rewards status membership at blockbuster and start renting my movies there again. It is worth the extra dollar to get a new release if they actually have it in stock! As you can tell I am starting to rent movies again instead of buying. My funds are limited to the necessities of life. And yes traveling IS a necessity...for my life at least. Way to make a come back, blockbuster!






No comments:

Post a Comment