Monday, October 12, 2009

Sailing @ Marina Del Rey
















Ready to tack?  READY TO TACK! 
On Saturday Jackie took HY and I sailing!  She took some sailing classes so we were able to join her on a sailing adventure.  We went on a Capri Sailboat.  It's the exact one pictured above with the UCLA sails and all.  Another girl that took the class with her came too so I got to ride with her and HY rode with Jackie.  These sailboats are for two people so it worked out great.  I had a BLAST.  B-L-A-S-T.
Sailing is no joy ride on the water.  The whole time you are working the sails.  It was so awesome.  I was the crew and Jordan was the skipper.  I sat in the front of the boat maneuvering the smaller sail.  Jordan sat in the back of the boat maneuvering the big sail and the rutter.  Everytime we turned she would say READY TO TACK? (OR JIVE...depending which way we turned).  and I said READY TO TACK!  But really I never said that back. I just said "YUP."  I didn't follow protocol very well.  When we turn, she lets go of the sail and then the bar would swing across the other side, so you have to duck and then jump onto the other side of the boat.  I kept pulling the sail tighter and tighter so we could go faster.  We were tacking and jiving every couple of minutes.  It was the best experience ever!  At one time we almost collided with Jackie's boat.  When we were safetly away from them we began to turn and then I got stuck on one side of the boat.  The boat tilted so fast that I didn't have time to get over.  We almost capsized, but seeing how I had to go to long beach for Roscoe's afterwards, I fought the boat and finally got it to stabilize.  We almost got run over by a big a$$ boat too.  But we made it out of there.  Phew. 

Now I really want to:
ride a single person sailboat source














ride a Catamaran source

 

















and go Windsurfing! source














Thanks so much Jackie and Jordan!  Sailing was one of my dreams.  I always wanted to ride a sailboat.  I finally got to do it and am really inspired to keep sailing.  I will definitely be signing up for those classes!  Hmmm I think I need to take them soon so I can take my December visitors sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment