Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Color Me Mine

I used to frequent Made of Mudd in Tucson. It was something that I loved to do in my spare time. When living in fairfax corner I lived about 50 steps away from Color Me Mine. Everytime I passed it I told myself I would go there to unwind. But I never did. There is another Color Me Mine right next to me. It's about 3 blocks away. So finally, right before Dina's departure, I dragged her there. We both painted mugs. I love my new mug! Except I need to wait 5 days for them to glaze it and fire it up in the kiln before I can bring it home with me.

While the girl was showing us around the paints, I spotted a snowflake stencil and got inspired to do a snowman/snowflake mug! I started with a sponge technique layering different shades of blue for the base of my mug. Then I tried to use the stencils for my snowman and snowflakes, but it was way too hard to trace and paint over the stencils. So I decided to go freehand. I'm actually very proud of my snowman mug! I think I ruined it by writing Let It Snow on it. I practiced on the table, but when it came time to writing it on the mug, my hands were just in weird positions. But it's ok. I still love my mug.

The blank canvas.

Sponging completed.

Mr. Snowman! He is kind of boring. I wish I made a more exciting snowman.

My ruined Let it snow slogan.

My favorite part of the mug! Snowflake on the handle!

Dina grabbed what we thought was a monkey stencil. She has been obsessed with monkeys and bananas all weekend. In the end it turned out to be a girl stencil. Kind of looks like pucca. and I love pucca.

I'm not sure why she is lucky?

I love Dina's handle too.

The inside of her mug is super retrocool.

After 5 days when I pick up the mugs, we will see how they turn out. After glaze and kiln, the colors come out different. I put on so many coats so the colors would be more vibrant. I hope it turns out ok!

It is so relaxing sitting there painting and listening to music. I think I will go back next week!

4 comments:

  1. Girl, I am so impressed with your painting skills! Your snowflakes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your snowman is really good! Dina's girl/monkey is quite weird looking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post. we have reference to this on our facebook profile..
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairfax-VA/color-me-mine-fairfax/101335188779

    ReplyDelete