Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mom's can be normal

Had a funny conversation with my mom. It's refreshing when you have a conversation when you realize your mom is normal. Usually conversations go like..what did you eat? are you sleeping well? don't get sick. are you going to the gym? when are you getting married?

but today's conversation was funny.

mom: what r u painting
me: mug
mom: what did you paint?
me: snowman
mom: that's stupid. u can buy those.
me: but it's MY snowman. it's so fun. i should have been an artist
mom: i told u to when u were little but you didnt want to
me: i know cause im lazy. i dont like to practice.
me: i took a brain test and it says i have balanced brain. so that means im not good at anything.
mom: ohhh i thought so.
me: you thought what? im not good at anything? thanks.
mom: im like that too i took a test in korea in HS to see if i should do art or science. i scored even in both. so i have balanced brain too
me: HAHA you are not good at anything either
mom: yeah i'm not good at anything either. but i can do everything. it's good to have balanced brain.
me: no it's not. we're not good at anything
mom: if you are only good at one thing you will be weird.
me: what? you're so mean
mom: you know those WEIRD people
me: yes mom. i know
mom: ok bye. have to go to lab

what in the world? i thought my mom lived in this sheltered korean world. but i guess she doesn't. she categorizes artsy fartsy as weird. This whole convo was in konglish by the way. but she busted out in english when she said 'those weird people.' I guess you have to have a fob parent to understand why it's funny.

1 comment:

  1. Your amma is so cute and insightful. My mom usually tries to be vaguely inspirational. On my last birthday card, she wrote "happiness does not come to you, you have to earn it!". I'm not even sure that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete