Monday, August 24, 2009

Molten Lava Mini Cakes

The other day I was craving something chocolatey. Usually I will go for the chip aisle rather than the cookie aisle, but sometimes...(once a month to be exact) I just want to stuff mounds of chocolate in my mouth. I would have just gone and bought an awesome chocolate cake, but not knowing many food joints around me, I had to fend for myself. So on the way home I looked up a molten lava cake recipe on my handy BB and made a detour to the supermarket.

I used Paula Dean's recipe which you can find here.

I was being very cheap so I skipped the vanilla and gran marnier. And I had no cupcake tins or watnot at home, so I bought 1.99 mini cake foil pan things instead of 7.99 cupcake tins.

Here are all my ingredients. Not too many. The recipe is so simple.

I melted butter and chocolate in the microwave. Both semi and bitter sweet. Since there was so much butter in the bowl with the chocolate, it was fine to microwave and didn't burn.

then I mixed in all the eggs. SO MANY EGGS!

Here are the 5 mini cake pans with batter in them

And voila! 5 mini molten lava cakes.

Final step - EATING IT!

outcome: My molten lava mini cakes did not come out so great. I overcooked them because I kept thinking about all the eggs I put in the batter which freaked me out of course. So there was very little gooey goodness in the middle! As the mini cakes cooled off...there was NO gooey goodness in the middle. Next time I will cook them just the way the recipe says. And add vanilla. It definitely needed a little bit of vanilla. But it was still delicious!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment: