Friday, August 14, 2009

In Awe of God's Creations

We did so much in Hawaii that it's too hard to blog about it all at one time. There are 5000 pictures to go through between 5 of us and it's hard to do that too. But there are two distinct things that I did that amazed me and that I will never forget so I wanted to share. I took these pictures off Sungsill's FB just so I can blog about it. Thanks Sungsill.

At the end of our trip, we went to the Big Island (Hawaii). Nobody really researched Big Island so we just did whatever by asking the locals. When we checked into our hotel, I made friends with the person at the front desk. She suggested two things we should definitely do. So we did both and had the most magical experiences! You can see the photos below!





Awesome experience number 1: Seeing fiery lava flow into the ocean just a few miles away was crazy. When you think of a volcano erupting and lava flowing, wouldn't you run away? Instead mobs of people go to watch this! This was very cool. It wasn't exciting watching lots of smoke and bursts of lava rise out of the water, but just thinking about what is happening right in front of your eyes is an awesome experience. If you touch the lava, you would melt away in a split second. The funnest part of the whole experience was probably 'hiking' to the viewing point. You have to walk over all the old dried lava. The Big Island used to be covered in dried lava. It is volcano country. Then after years and years vegetation started growing. Now one of the biggest cattle ranches in America exists on the Big Island. The whole time you are just looking down not to trip and break your neck. On the way back it was dark so we had to use flashlights.





Awesome experience #2: Swimming with dolphins in the open Ocean. My friend at the front desk told us to go to Kona (we stayed in Hilo) and snorkel at Kealajsdfjsad;fjasdf (the word is too long and I can't remember.) Aka Capt Cook area (I think). The big island is not commercialized at all! You would think this place would be filled with tourists and lots of rental places. But it wasn't. There were of course tourists, but the people renting kayaks and snorkel gear were locals that lived right there. They would rent it out of their houses. So we got ourselves a 3 person kayak, kayaked our way to the shore on the other side of the bay/cove, and went snorkeling. we saw a lot of fishies. Sungsill was getting a little seasick so she got out of the water. Then someone yells...DOLPHINS! I turn around and lisette has already doggy paddled her way out into the open ocean. I followed her. I turn my head after I'm almost out to Dolphins as well and to my surprise, there is Sungsill right next to me. I wish I could have seen her haul ass because she was probably 100 feet away from me out of the water with no snorkel gear on when I started swimming towards Lisette. THAT is adrenaline! It was such a cool experience. There were probably 50 Dolphins swimming all around us! Sungsill only had a few snaps left on her disposable water camera. What a shame! But at least we got these! After being in Awe of these friendly sea mammals so close to us playing in the water, I started freaking out about what was deeeep in the water below us. sharks?! When the dolphins started to swim away I wanted to go back, but lisette and sungsill wanted to follow them. I so freaked out and headed back on my own. I basically swam for my life! I was so out of breath but did not stop until I was safe in shallow water. When I got back home I googled a lot about dolphins and dolphins saving humans from sharks which I hear happens a lot. If you're interested, google it! Why was I so scared? The dolphins would have protected us. And sharks probably don't go there because of all the dolphins. Now...I really love Dolphins...true doggies of the ocean. Amazing how God has created these 'protector' animals in the ocean and sharkies. He thought of everything.

Can you swim with the dolphins at seaworld? I'm soooooooooooo going!

Stay tuned for more Hawaii blogs in the next days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment