Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cookie Making to overcome Post Craft Depression

So since HY and I decided to make christmas cookies, I headed to Joann's after work to get some cookie cutters.  But I found this CUTE wilton mini cake pan!  And after reading Becky's blog, I really wanted brownies.  So I bought it. As well as a few cookie cutters.

I just have to say..WHO knew decorating cookies was so hard!

After HY cooked us a great dinner (ground turkey with tofu and bokchoy stirfry yum), we started baking our goodies to decorate.



So who knows how to make brownies?  Not me for sure.  The only person I know that can make brownies is Lisette. Oh and Becky.  I cannot make brownies for the life of me. WHY not?  It's from a freaking box!  HY says she cannot either. One time I tried making brownies at lisette's house.  From the box.  And it turned out like chocolate cake.  I don't get it.  We kept baking it longer and longer, but nope, still chocolate cake.  How can you mess up boxed brownies?  Needless to say, our brownies turned out like cake again. And I don't like how it is dome shaped and not flat.  I think we needed those wilton strips to put around the pan. I don't know.  But I do have to say they are SO cute.



The cookies were even a bigger problem!  Seriously. Hahaha.  We got lazy and bought pillsbury sugar cookies instead of making our own dough.  The dough was so gooey we couldn't cut shapes.  So the first batch was a little weird.  It didn't work. So what we did was just put the dough all across the pan and then after it cooked, we cut the shapes really quickly.  When it cooled, we just peeled it out.  How in the world are you supposed to do this?  Next time, we will have to make our own dough that is cookie cutter friendly.  oh..and we definitely burned that junks.


Then we made royal icing to deocrate the cookies. I kept telling HY the royal icing recipe sounded so wierd because it was missing crisco or something.  In the end i realized there are different royal icing recipes for cake decorating and cookie decorating.  you're supposed to outline the cookies and let it harden before decorating so that it doesnt drip over the edges.  we did that to a few, but then we got lazy and didn't do that anymore.  By the time we started decorating we were SO tired.  I was about to pass out.



But TA DA!!!  They didn't turn out SO bad. Actually, all together they look pretty good.  yes, our gingerbread men are more like halloween ghost cookies. HAHAHA. 



When we are about to pack up and cover the cookies, I saw the sprinkles on the counter.  We forgot to use the sprinkles!  HY insisted we must add some sprinkles.  So as tired as we were, we refrosted somoe and added sprinkles.  My favorite is the christmas stocking with the sun.  (HY said it's a star. Looks like a sun to me. haha).  HY's favorite is the white ghost gingerbread man.  Don't you love the eyes? So fobby.



I totally love our brownie/cakes!  Doesn't the frosting look like M&Ms?  They are so cute.  We were too tired to do all of them. 

Next time we will have to do this on a weekend and spend a lot of time.  we were rushing and so tired and just wanted to finish. Haha.  And those cookies are NASTY. I won't eat one.  But I can't wait to scarf the brownies tonight!

Thanks HY!  I think this activity helped with my Post Craft Depression!  Don't leave me and go to Hawaii!


1 comment:

  1. Jean! Those look so good! I think I'll make some this weekend. Try all the King Arthur Flour recipes. They are really well tested and delicious!

    ReplyDelete