Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Anjin:Japanese BBQ. Better than Korean BBQ?

Answer: NO WAY!
Rating for Anjin: LEVI'S

Yesterday was Dorothy's birthday. Happy Birthday DOTORI! Lisette and Anna were still in town so we decided to meet in the middle, Orange County. I yelped all day yesterday and finally decided on Anjin for Japanese BBQ in Costa Mesa. I have never had it before and have never even heard of it before moving to LA. I thought it was a good choice for Lisette and Anna to try something different as well.

Here are the grills

My favorite part was the menu with colored soju drinks. Which is hilarious because you do not put ice in soju. and it should be soju not sochu.

This kimchi medoly was $6.50. uh....probably costs about $.10

We had a short rib (galbi style) and rib eye (chadolbaegee style) These plates have one serving on them. RIP OFF, right? Definitely RIP OFF! We each ate 4 pieces of meat. I could actually count how many pieces I ate. FOUR!

We also got 'fried rice hot pot' which came with seaweed soup. Basically dol sot bibimbap with miyukgook.

Lisette secretly went to the BR to get a birthday song for Doro. They brought green tea ice cream with a candle.

The best part was this snapshot they gave Doro. I love the heart picture holder. I love how japanese restaurants all do this!

So my review: Is this a japanese place or what? It was basically wanna-be korean bbq! I was very disappointed. The difference was that you dip the meat in a sauce. Kind of like the ginger sauce that you get at teppanyaki places. And you just eat the meat. I can't believe they even had bibimbap. Everything was basically korean food but a little blander. Because japanese food is bland and korean food is salty and spicy. I read on yelp that it was sooo good. great quality. and it was better than korean bbq! YEAH RIGHT! give me some samgyupsal and soju ANY DAY! I really did not understand this place at all! It was japanese, with all japanese staff, but the food seemed korean. Very odd. Why didn't they have saki instead of soju? Sorry Dorothy...we should have had some all you can eat korean bbq! There is an all you can eat japanese BBQ place in LA. I will go and try that. But unless it is really good, that will be the end to my japanese BBQ dines...because I am still asking the question...what is japanese BBQ?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

3 comments:

  1. There's a place in SD called Tsuruhashi which is Japanese style of gogi. It is pretty delicious though. It costs more than a Korean place but the quality of their meats are very, very good...mmm, I love meat w/ fat marbled in. I think the Kobe meat at Tsuruhashi is the best fatty-marbled meat I've had recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a japanese,and I've been to L.A.
    I looked for japanese bbq restraunt,but I couldn't find nice restraunts in here.

    If you want to eat real Japanese BBQ,you should go to Japan...but it's so expencive...so we can't usually eat those.Because a real Japanese BBQ restraunt have a brand beef,it's unbelievable delicious.So we don't need other dishes.

    Let's google "KOBE beef".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure where you're getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.

    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

    Also visit my homepage; Schmuckkommode bestellen

    ReplyDelete